Most importantly, though, I have been able to make and receive calls over WiFi. There are many other blog posts floating around explaining how to do this. But basically I needed to:
- Apply for and receive a Google Voice account
- Register and activate a Gizmo5 account
- Add my Gizmo5 number to my Google Voice account
- Download and install SIP Droid on my G1
- Enter Gizmo5 username/password, and proxy01.sipphone.com as the server
- Enable WiFi, and wait for SIP Droid to authenticate (this part is buggy, as far as I can tell)
I have been able to do this well, from my home WiFi network. I’m looking forward to trying this abroad.